It could have been prevented.

Filed under: by: GreyStar

Guess I am the master of gloom here lately but I was thinking about another friend of mine, Jaren Hoover. Who was tragically killed at work on April 14th of 2008. For a while the news stations and friends have all stated it was an accident, and OSHA ruled it as such. But I looked into it further this evening and found out what truly happened. And I have to say, I wish I hadn't looked into it. The results basically tell that it could have been prevented. Of course, all work related accidents and incidents should be preventable, but this one more so than I thought it was.

Jaren worked at a company called Dura-Bone Pipe LLC. It was on Monday, his second week of starting at that company and his last. Instead of giving my interpretation of what happened to Jaren I figure it is best to leave what OSHA found as the result:

Text For Citation: 01 Item/Group: 001 Hazard: CRUSHING

Section 5(a)(1) of the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970: The employer did not furnish employmnent and a place of employment which were free from recognized hazards that were causing or likely to cause death or serious physical harm to employees in that employees were exposed to a crushing hazard while the load was suspended and the operator was distracted: (a)Power Crete Building - Employees were exposed to crushing hazard while the crane operator was distracted while conversing on the "Walkie-Talkie" and having the load suspended, on April 14, 2008. ABATEMENT NOTE: Ensure that all crane operators follow safe conduct of operation as referred in ASME B30.2-2005, 2005. VERIFICATION REQUIRED


I'm not sure what happened to the crane operator, I at least hope he lost his job, but the company is keeping any details and results of this rather quiet. Even some violations on the OSHA report were deleted or left unfilled in. It just sucks, Jaren is missed every day that all of his family and friends are awake and alive without him, but of course we all hope to see him again.

0 comments: